Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Star Light, Star Bright, What's For Dessert Tonight?

I was well into my 40's before I discovered the star that was the persistent light across all the years of my life. I somehow took it for granted, distracted person that I can be, until one evening I found myself sitting across an elegant restaurant table from a friend who is a food critic for a magazine. Our meal together that night would cost nearly as much as my car payment! I munched on my amuse bouche and wondered how I had come to be so fortunate as to be her frequent dinner guest at fine restaurants I could never have afforded to go to on my own. The answer came in a flash. I have the food star.

I've always had good luck with food. It started at my Mom's kitchen, where there was always delicious food, and at each meal there was a stack of hand-made, fresh flour tortillas. Our meals were nothing fancy, but were always prepared for our family by our mom, Pepa Cuellar, with the utmost care and love, the most important ingredient for good food.

Other people I have known have had stars. My friend, Diana has the friendship star. She has always had a loyal following of woman friends-- strewn across two countries-- who would follow her blindly wherever she led them. Another friend has the money star. She had been born wealthy, then saw her family business fail. A few years later oil was discovered at her family's ranch. She then saw the wells dry up, but soon after had the good fortune to have a philanthropist invest in a business she started. Her money star flashed on and off, but overall, it was a hard worker!
What star do you have? It's an important question to consider. Discovering your star(s) can be fun and surprising. It can also help remind you of patterns that run like a quiet current beneath the surface, always a part of our lives.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, this is a fun one. My parents have alway told me that I have luck with money. Coming from a family that wasn't very educated (I was the first in my family to go to college) I just assumed it was all just a product of hard work and education, not luck at all. However, as I've gone back to think of all the times I have had money "come to me" I'd say, yes, I may have the "money star." Like the time I found a twenty dollar bill on the sidewalk outside CiCi's Pizza. There was also a time I found ten dollars in a purse I bought at Macy's. Like the time I kept winning on the scratch offs and went back to the gas station four times to claim my money. Like the time I came back from Vegas with more money than I left with. Like the time I received a check in the mail for over $3,000 dollars. I could keep going, but I'll stop. I'm still not rich, but it I'm thinking I just might have the "money star." Cool. ---Valerie Gomez

    ReplyDelete