Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Friday, June 14, 2019

A Father's Day Patiently and Gratefully Remembered


Listening well is an important skill, but so is listening patiently. Recently I learned that listening with patience, keeping your ears open to certain questions pays off, even after a lifetime and Niagara style waterfall full the twists and turns of a family’s journey. 

Listening with patience we can sometimes hear about something that answers questions we can hardly ask ourselves out loud.

Our family of five children lost Adolfo, Jr., our dad, on the day I turned three. He had gone to earn some overtime on a Sunday when an accident on the job took his life. Dad worked at the smelter in Douglas Arizona, processing copper from the nearby mine in the town of Bisbee, one of Arizona’s many copper mines.


I had a lot of questions.  Whenever the family talked about him I listened carefully to learn about my Dad. I had a few memories of my own of him.  Even today, 62 years later, I remember seeing him turn on the sidewalk coming home from work, watching him through our front screen door. He always handed me a candy from his lunchbox. He was 6 feet tall and broad shouldered. I remember him once swiftly picking me up from the ground when I fell off the swing set he had welded for me in the back yard. I remember feeling immediately comforted in his arms.



Getting information about my Dad was not easy.  Momma had her own problems. Their relationship had been difficult. Opposites attract, but it’s also true that opposites clash, and those two clashed in awful ways about money, women, just radically different life philosophies. So Momma was not a good person to talk to about him for her own many reasons about the past, but also the pressing problems of the present.  My four siblings were also just doing their best to get along without Dad and live their lives. I kept my ears open as I grew up but I didn’t hear much about him, so like a fading signal to a distant radio station, the times we talked about him grew less frequent. We all changed the channel to our present lives and the busy tumble of growing up.



In grade school I felt ashamed to not have a living dad.  Kids in my class wondered how exactly did our family get along without a father? How was my mother able to stay at home without a husband who went to work every day like their dads did? We had sold our home in Arizona and used the money to build a house in Laredo where we moved so Momma could have more support from family and her old girlhood friends. I didn’t know how to answer my curious classmates, but I also knew that they didn’t see how Momma could stretch a dollar. 

She was frugal because she had to be with the social security check she received every month and the small check she received from the Arizona Worker’s Compensation Fund. Not more than a few hundred all together. She drove across to Nuevo Laredo to buy our meats, produce, groceries. The boys got their haircuts in Mexico.


I kept listening and once in a while in the morning Momma woke up so happy  because she had dreamed about him. Tu Papá. But those times were rare. Strings of months would pass without a mention of my father. And in that way the years passed.  The decades passed.  The distant radio signal was hardly noticeable.



In my thirties, I found an unexpected clue about my father in an exhibit at the Institute of Texan Cultures on the Borderlands and the town of Zapata.  My Dad’s family settled Zapata when Texas was still Mexico. People I met at the exhibit claimed they had taken in my Dad when he was just a toddler after his mother had died. Some answers, and consequently more questions. How had my father been handed from family to family growing up?



More questions surfaced. At the 50th anniversary of the end of World War Two I was commissioned by the local PBS station to produce a documentary about San Antonio during the war. Naturally I looked at my own family and the war. Before he left Arizona for the war, my uncle, also named Adolfo, contacted his sister, Momma, and Dad encouraging them to leave South Texas with their newborn son to come live in Arizona at his home and use his car and start to work in the smelter for union wages. I still wondered, why had my Dad not enlisted in the war? Was he a coward? Did he avoid joining the war effort? I could have asked my mother or my siblings, but if the answer was that he had been afraid to enlist, I didn’t want to know, so I didn’t ask. 

My ideas about him were so shaky. My siblings remembered years of their own experiences with him, listening to him whistle and sing, his giant hugs and his 6 day a week schedule of hard work, but what I seemed to cherry pick from what I overheard about my father were the fights about money, the women. I didn’t want to know if he side-stepped serving his country. I didn’t want to hear more bad news about him.  



Then, just this year, 62 years after his death, with the help of Elda, my sister, my listening patiently suddenly pays off.



One of the family stories my sister is writing in her memoir about her life is about the many strikes for better pay and benefits that my father took part in at the smelter where he worked in Arizona.



My sister recalls the tension in the family when my father announced he was going on strike with the union. My mother knew we’d be short on money and she argued with him to not go on strike. Strikes were a gamble. He knew some strikes you win, and some you lose. There had been some epic losses within recent memory for workers who went on strike at Phelps Dodge where he worked. Staging a strike was a dangerous gamble.



But, always Dad would answer Momma's protests saying that he had to go on strike. He had to back up his brothers. My sister, just a little girl herself, says she over heard this and wondered who were the brothers my Dad had in Arizona? Weren’t his brothers back in Texas?



Despite the gamble he was taking and Momma’s reluctance, Adolfo joined the strikers every time the union staged a walk-out. 


Here is where the patient listening pays off. Where the distant radio signal about my Dad all these decades later gets louder and stronger.



In a documentary my sister saw, she learned about the Bisbee Deportation, now a 100 year old tragedy. It happened some 30 years before my Dad’s participation in strikes at his employer.



In the Bisbee Deporation, the striking miners—More than 1200 of them, all immigrants, Germans, Irish, Polish and mostly Mexican were rounded up at the crack of dawn in their homes, gathered onto the Bisbee baseball field where they were held with a machine gun aimed at them. They were then herded at gunpoint into railroad cattle cars.  Sixteen hours later the workers were unloaded 230 miles away in the New Mexico desert. There is where they were dumped and prohibited from ever again returning to Bisbee. 



Each time my Dad and his brothers went on strike what had happened to the strikers in the so called Bisbee Deportation had to have been front and center of all the worker's minds.  They all knew about what had happened in the Bisbee Deportation, and yet they had the courage to go forward despite their fears and strike for better pay and benefits.



My sister read me what she had written about the strike and I immediately went to ITunes to download and view the documentary, Bisbee ‘17. My immediate reaction was shock, but slowly I noticed that something in the territory of my memory had shifted. It was like sand dunes blowing away and uncovering a trait about my father I’d never considered:



His courage in joining his ‘brothers’ and going out on strike. Against the will of his wife. Facing the possibility of losing his job, or maybe more, like the workers in the Bisbee Deportation. And with the shifting of the sands, my father was revealed as someone I was proud of. That feeling opened up something else. 

Knowing about Dad’s courage going on strike despite the company’s history, prepared me to ask that question that I had been too scared to ask before. The question about my dad not enlisting for WWII. I called up one of my friends, a former Vietnam pilot and now a history buff who knows a lot about World War Two. I now felt I could handle whatever I was about to find out. I had learned something important, and nothing I would learn would change that. I asked my friend if he could tell me why my Dad hadn’t served in the war?



My friend asked me, “Did your dad have any children during the war?” I answered, ”Two at the start and two more just after the war.”



“Well, the fact he had children and he also worked at the smelter which produced copper for ammunition, both are the reasons your dad didn’t go to the war.”



It was like receiving a wonderful gift hearing those words. I was speechless. I then put two and two together. I remembered that my uncle Adolfo was a bachelor when he had enlisted and helped our family to move from Texas to Arizona. He returned after the war with a Purple Heart to work at the smelter alongside my father, marry my Aunt Eva and have a family of nine kids, the same number of children in the family he was born into. 



I was rewarded for listening patiently.  I next remembered how Enrique Solis, a professor of mine and I, exchanged notes ten years ago about how his father in El Paso worked the same job with the same employer as my father had in Arizona. As I continued listening, I remembered the checks we received each month from the Arizona Worker’s Compensation Fund that helped support our family. He explained because Texas is a right to work state, where strikes are illegal, if his dad had were to have died on the job like mine had, his family would never have received monthly assistance from the state’s worker’s compensation fund because there is no such thing in Texas. Those benefits are not available to Texas workers. My dad and his ‘brothers’ going on strike in Arizona had helped to win those worker rights and protections for workers in that state. Protections that followed us even when our family moved back to Texas.



My dad’s courage in going on strike, unbeknown to him, would help feed, house and educate his whole family for decades after his death. This includes Momma’s education, who for years attended evening Adult Basic Education classes to learn English, History and Math that were part of the Great Society legislation of LBJ’s presidency.



Listening and waiting gave me information I’ve wanted to know about my father for all my life. I learned our Dad’s courage and hard work provided for his family after his life ended.



62 years after his death, I’m glad that I kept listening and I'm so grateful for my sister's writing her memoir.  Now my understanding of my father is deeper and to my amazement, something I’m proud of and thankful for.  I see the results of his courage and hard work in the lives of my Momma, myself, each of my siblings and now in the lives of my nieces,  nephews and their children.





-->

No comments:

Post a Comment