Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Thursday, March 22, 2018

The Artist Holds Up the Black Mirror


The first episode of the Netflix series, Black Mirror, had me at hello. 
I'm so grateful to the friend who recommended I try it. P.S. Not family friendly.

Here are five things about the episode that we watched last night that will make me keep watching.

1. I loved Twilight Zone as a kid, so my first impulse was to think this was a reboot. It's not. There are so many layers more that I see just how much the medium of TV has truly evolved. 

2. The story is about technology and its power. The storyteller is the artist, a painter living in London, who is able to show us what he sees in a way few of us could imagine.  

3. The public is fickle; the public is powerful. We are the public.  That's a lot to think about.

4. The episode is less about a pig than it is about people. This is us.

5. Our screens are extensions of ourselves, our senses and attention. See McLuhan.

No comments:

Post a Comment