Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Friday, March 9, 2012

The Crisis Mexico is Currently Ignoring



San Miguel de Allende may have more American residents than any other city in Mexico. I wish I knew if the American colony there helped put together the TED San Miguel conference held there recently.

I just saw a video posted on TED Talks about the crisis Mexico is currently ignoring. At least that's the take of the speaker, the son of disgraced ex-president of Mexico, Carlos Salinas Gortari.
http://www.ted.com/talks/emiliano_salinas_a_civil_response_to_violence.html

I admit to a serious case of skepticism over the speaker's credibility, but young Salinas shouldn't be blamed for the sins of the father. In any case, the talk left me frankly perplexed. In the first place, I was left with the impression that lynchings taking place in Mexico are being done by vigilante citizens who take the law into their own hands in an attempt to combat the narco traffickers. That's not what has happened in Nuevo Laredo, certainly.

In the second place, I see no evidence that standing up to kidnappers with or without the backing of a town is the right course of action. I would hock my last possession to see my loved ones returned safely. I hope I never have to face that horrific situation; yet many, many in Mexico have had to not only face it but live through the personal horror of seeing their loved ones murdered with or without ransom.

That young Salinas has started such an international conversation in such a forum is good.


No comments:

Post a Comment