Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Sunday, July 11, 2010

YMCA = fun and health


The word "exercise" sounds like a grueling experience. Like chalk squeaking on a blackboard. A much better word is "dance"--you leap and turn in the air just speaking the word. There's music pulsing and you just have to move!

For the past five weeks I've been dancing 3-4 times a week with Susie and about 40 of my newest friends at the YMCA at Braundera. Zoomba, which is aerobic dance set to mostly Latin music, is apparently widely advertised on TV.

I can tell you Zoomba an easy way to melt the inches and build endurance and energy, and all the while you are having a good time learning new steps, listening to great music from around the hemisphere and keeping up with the grandmothers, teenagers, moms and young women who are hoofing, leaping, lunging and generally pretending to be Shakira for just one moment.

I've also become a regular at Water Aerobics, Yoga and Bodyflow, which is a form of Tai Chi and Yoga.

Five weeks have helped me to see what a difference a little bit of effort can make! I feel better, have more energy, my clothes fit me better and have rearranged muscle and fat in significant and good ways.

I have learned a lot about fitness by also reading books about nutrition and getting fit. The best one is "Younger Next Year".

Bravo to the Alamo Colleges and YMCA who permitted enrollment at greatly reduced prices to Alamo Colleges employees.

No comments:

Post a Comment