Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Power of Language


Eve Ensler's The Vagina Monologues was a wonderful experience for all of the women (students, staff and faculty) who took part in the two performances we presented at Northwest Vista this week, Monday, March 29 at 12:30 and Wednesday, March 31 at 7 p.m.Thanks much to Professors Melissa Marlowe and Carina Gonzalez-Stout who spear headed the effort.
The amazing thing about the experience was the transformation I underwent with respect to the word, "vagina". I remember telling my office mates that I was auditioning for a play, and I just avoided saying the name of the play, even though I had seen Ensler's video on TV some years back. I remember the audition, at which I was emboldened to speak only after seeing 9-10 teenage girls have the courage to stand up and go through their audition. I remember thinking, if these young women have the courage, so can I. I didn't know then, but it was a case of The little Coochi Snorcher that could. Or should I say the Panocha that plowed forward! It took several readings of my part (The Vagina Workshop) and a rehearsal with my fellow actors to finally get me out of my discomfort zone about saying the word, "vagina". I got pretty good at it, frankly a bit melodramatic, I'm afraid. In my efforts to learn an English accent, I sounded like Count Chocula. Now, after two performances, the word is (almost) alarmingly easy to use. I'm tossing it around at any opportunity-- in front of my office mates, my friends and even my students-- some of whom were in the audience. Yikes!

My question is, if this word had so many locks and keys to keep it hidden, what are other words that need to be said out loud? Any suggestions, and why do they need to be spoken, the way "vagina" does in Eve Ensler's phenomenal play?

1 comment:

  1. Deliciously deep insight. Right now I am thinking of other words that are suppose to be kept under lock and key.

    ReplyDelete